Search Abnormal Entertainment

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Why Pink?

by Kevin Moyers

This seems like a question some people might ask as Abnormal Entertainment's Facebook and Twitter feeds sport a pink version of our logo. My personal profile carries the same logo. There's a simple answer to this: Why is it even a question?

I know I can never speak exactly for the rest of the staff here at Abnormal or Cinema Head Cheese. Even those us at the owner level don't agree on everything politically or otherwise. That's just the way it is. We speak as individuals. When it comes to something like this, however, a little solidarity is in order. As I said, I don't speak for all of us. We might have podcast hosts and writers that disagree. I really don't know. I, however, have no problem sharing exactly how I feel on the subject.



Abnormal Entertainment is made up of a diverse group. It's not designed that way. It just is. I don't believe in affirmative action. Getting a job because of race, gender or sexuality over a more qualified person is just as bad as banning someone for the same reason. It's like saying someone isn't good enough unless we give them a freebie. Not good. People are here because of what they do and the effort they put it. Our ranks span gay, straight, white, black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian, Middle Eastern, interracial, single, married, divorced, Jewish, Atheist, Christian, Buddhist, Agnostic, men, women, immigrants, adopted kids, cat owners, dog owners, parents, jocks, geeks, nerds and a guy in a wrestling mask. Believe me, you can't plan that.

Now, run through that list, point at any one of those groups, and tell them they don't get to participate in life in the same way the rest of us can. That would be horrible, wouldn't it? But wait! It's been done. Blacks? Oh, yeah. There was that whole slavery thing. Hispanic? Well, we have the immigration debate, which I'm sure gives the Native Americans a big chuckle. Men! Yes! There's a group that isn't hit by bigotry! Try being a dad in custody court, and then get back to me. Hell, I've even seen the guy in the wrestling mask get kicked in the chest. Seriously. It's on our YouTube channel.

So, why do I care? Because a cause of any kind doesn't just have to be about your own interests. I know I did an episode of Kevin Hates Everything about Facebook activism. Maybe I was wrong about that. I read an article today written by a gay man. He parroted that same thought I previously had, but this was about the pink equal sign profile pictures. He said that they were worthless, and that we should all take to the streets and picket the Supreme Court. He said that Facebook couldn't sway the Justices' votes, because they have to base their decisions on the law. I hate to break it to him, but picketers have the same lack of effect. Again, the Supreme Court has to work based on the laws, not based on personal opinions. On top of that, you can't expect everyone to have the ability to travel to D.C. and do that. It's not feasible. Instead, we have a new way to carry our voices, and even if they aren't heard by Congress, someone out there will see these images and know we stand by them. The writer claimed that the pink icon costs us our individuality, which isn't true. This isn't even about individuality. This is an act of solidarity.

So, why pink? For my cousin. I wish he was still here to see it. For the friends and family who are affected by this. For Tony Hughes, half of the best sports team in podcasting. For Daniel Garza, the odds defying workhorse that brings you 20% of our programming. For my friend and brother, Camm Harston, who helps me build this network. For that scared fifteen-year-old kid who doesn't know how to talk to his parents. Maybe he's on Facebook or Twitter right now seeing just enough pink to give him the courage he needs. It seems small, but it's something, and if that's enough to get you to stop reading or listening, I really don't care. You're welcome to curl up in your dark corner in history. We're happily heading toward the light. That's why pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment